How to Remove Kohler Shower Handle: Step-by-Step Guide
To remove a kohler shower handle, locate and remove the set screw, then use a handle puller to take off the handle. Removing a kohler shower handle can be a daunting task, but with the right tools and steps, it can be accomplished with ease.
Perhaps you want to replace your shower handle, or you need to access the valve behind it. Whatever your reason may be, it’s essential to know the correct way to remove it to prevent any damage or mishaps. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of removing a kohler shower handle, step-by-step.
From locating the set screw to using a handle puller, we’ll cover everything you need to know, so let’s get started.
Tools And Materials Required
Removing a kohler shower handle may seem challenging, but with the right tools, it’s a simple diy task that you can undertake. In this guide, we cover everything you need to know about removing a kohler shower handle. So, let’s get started by listing all the necessary tools and materials required for this task.
Here are the tools and materials that you need to remove a kohler shower handle:
- Philips head screwdriver: You will need this tool to remove the kohler shower handle screw that fits in the center of the handle.
- Allen wrench: You will need this tool if the screw holding your kohler shower handle is positioned in the handle’s base. Kohler handles that require an allen wrench have a small hexagonal-shaped hole where you insert the tool.
- Valve puller: You will need this tool to remove the kohler valve from the valve body gently. This tool helps you to avoid damaging the shower wall.
- Kohler-specific replacement cartridge: It’s essential to use kohler-specific replacement parts because, unlike other brands, kohler cartridges have unique shapes and sizes. This cartridge is the component that you are replacing.
- Towel: You’ll need a towel to protect your shower’s finish as you work on the handle.
- Plumber’s tape: You’ll need this item to wrap around the new kohler cartridge threads before installation. This wrapping helps eliminate any gaps between the valve’s threads and protects against any potential water leaks.
- Silicone grease: This lubricant is necessary to apply to o-rings found on the kohler cartridge. The grease helps to increase the cartridge’s longevity and keep it functioning correctly.
- Rubber gloves: Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands when handling the silicone grease and other materials.
By using these tools and materials, you can safely and efficiently remove your kohler shower handle.
Step-By-Step Guide On Removing Kohler Shower Handle
Kohler is a well-known brand that produces high-quality and reliable bathroom fixtures. Every now and then, you may need to remove the kohler shower handle to fix a leaky faucet or to replace it completely. Although it may seem daunting at first, removing the shower handle is a simple process.
Follow the steps below to successfully remove your kohler shower handle.
Turn Off The Water Supply To The Bathroom
Before removing the kohler shower handle, it is important to turn off the water supply to the bathroom to avoid any potential accidents. Here’s how to turn off the water supply:
- Locate the water shut-off valve for the bathroom.
- Turn the valve clockwise until it is tightly closed.
Caution: turning off the wrong valve may cause water damage to other parts of your home. Double-check and make sure you are turning off the valve that supplies water to your bathroom only.
Remove The Decorative Cover
The decorative cover is located on the front of the kohler shower handle. It is usually designed as a small cap that covers the screw that holds the handle in place. Here’s how to remove the decorative cover:
- Use a flat-head screwdriver to carefully pry the decorative cover from the handle.
- Once the cover is removed, you will see the screw that holds the shower handle in place.
Remove The Screw
Using a phillips-head screwdriver, remove the screw that holds the kohler shower handle in place. After removing the screw, you should be able to pull the handle straight off the valve stem.
Remove The Valve Trim
After removing the kohler shower handle, you may need to remove the valve trim. The valve trim is the part that conceals the valve and helps regulate water flow. Here’s how to remove the valve trim:
- Use a screwdriver to remove any screws that hold the valve trim in place.
- Gently pull the valve trim from the wall to reveal the valve.
Caution: be careful not to force or damage the valve trim while removing it.
Removing a kohler shower handle is an easy process that you can do yourself. Just remember to turn off the water supply before starting and be careful when removing the decorative cover and valve trim. By following these simple steps, you can successfully remove your kohler shower handle and get your bathroom fixtures working like new again.
Common Problems During Kohler Shower Handle Removal
Removing a kohler shower handle is not always straightforward, and you may encounter some issues while doing it. Here are some common problems and how to solve them:
- Stubborn screws: If the screws holding the handle are stuck, it’s essential to avoid damaging the surrounding area or breaking the tool you are using. Apply penetrating oil on the screws to ease them out gently. Use a screwdriver with a good grip to turn it slowly and steadily to avoid stripping the screw heads.
- Pipe fittings: If the handle’s base is stuck on the pipe and won’t come off, spraying it with penetrating oil can help. Then apply some heat using a hairdryer to loosen the base from the pipe. Wear gloves while handling hot parts.
- Accidental damage: While removing the handle, it’s essential to avoid damaging the shower walls or pipes, as this can lead to costly repairs. To avoid this, use tools carefully and avoid applying too much force. Always take your time and work patiently, especially around fragile parts.
By following these steps, you can successfully remove a stubborn kohler shower handle without damaging the shower walls or pipes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Address A Few Faqs Related To Removing The Kohler Shower Handle
Removing a shower handle can be daunting, and it’s natural to have questions. Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers to help you through the process:
- ### what tools do i need to remove a kohler shower handle?
To remove a kohler shower handle, you’ll need a few essential tools, including a flathead screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, a phillips screwdriver, and a hex wrench. These tools will help you loosen the handle, remove the set screw, and take apart the valve to access the cartridge.
- ### can i remove a kohler shower handle without a screwdriver?
No, unfortunately, removing a kohler shower handle requires a screwdriver. A flathead screwdriver is necessary for prying off the trim, while a phillips screwdriver will help you remove the screw holding the handle in place.
- ### how do i know if my kohler shower handle is stuck?
If your kohler shower handle won’t turn, it may be stuck due to corrosion or sediment buildup. To check if the handle is stuck, try to turn it both clockwise and counterclockwise. If it won’t budge, it’s likely stuck and needs to be removed.
- ### can i remove a kohler shower handle without damaging the faucet?
Yes, you can remove a kohler shower handle without damaging the faucet by using the right tools and techniques. Be sure to use a flathead screwdriver to pry off the trim gently, so you don’t scratch the finish. Additionally, use an adjustable wrench to turn the bonnet counterclockwise and prevent damage.
If you have any more questions about removing a kohler shower handle, please don’t hesitate to ask. We’re here to help you through the process and ensure that your shower is in excellent working order.
Frequently Asked Questions On How To Remove Kohler Shower Handle
How Do You Remove A Kohler Shower Handle?
To remove a kohler shower handle, locate the screw that holds it in place and unscrew it using a screwdriver. Then, gently pull the handle outwards and it should come off.
Can I Remove A Kohler Shower Handle Without A Screwdriver?
No, you cannot remove a kohler shower handle without a screwdriver. A screwdriver is required to unscrew the screw that holds the handle in place.
Why Is My Kohler Shower Handle Stuck?
Your kohler shower handle may be stuck due to mineral build-up or rust within the handle mechanism. Remove the handle and clean the mechanism with a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water.
How Can I Prevent My Kohler Shower Handle From Getting Stuck?
To prevent your kohler shower handle from getting stuck, clean the mechanism regularly with a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water. Also, ensure that the handle is dried after each use.
Can I Remove A Kohler Shower Handle Myself, Or Should I Call A Plumber?
You can remove a kohler shower handle yourself by following the instructions provided in the blog post. However, if you’re not confident in your ability to do so, it’s best to call a plumber.
As you can see, removing a kohler shower handle is not a difficult task. Just take your time, be patient and follow the steps carefully. Remember to gather all the necessary tools before starting the process. With the help of this guide, you can quickly and easily remove your kohler shower handle whenever needed.
Although the process may seem intimidating at first, with a little practice, you will become an expert in no time. The whole process can be done in a short amount of time, so feel free to get started as soon as possible.
Removing and replacing a faulty kohler shower handle is an important task that can significantly improve the functionality of your shower. So why wait? Get to it, and enjoy your newly fixed shower experience!