How to Spot Fake Funko Pops: 7 Essential Tips.
To tell if a funko pop is fake, look for details such as paint quality, box condition, and seller credibility. Genuine funko pops have crisp and vibrant paint jobs, intact boxes with clear windows, and authentic labels and serial codes.
Collecting funko pops has become a popular hobby, but with its rise in popularity has come a surge of counterfeit products flooding the market. By learning how to distinguish between real and fake funko pops, collectors can avoid wasting money on fake products and ensure they are adding genuine items to their collections.
In this article, we will look at some of the ways you can tell if a funko pop is fake, including examining paint quality, box condition, and seller credibility. So, whether you’re a veteran collector or a newcomer to the scene, read on to learn how to spot a fake funko pop.
Look At The Box
Have you ever purchased a funko pop and had a feeling that something about it was off? It may have been a counterfeit pop. Fake funko pops are becoming increasingly prevalent, making it even more challenging for collectors to identify a genuine product.
Fortunately, there are several ways to spot a fake funko pop. One of the most crucial factors to consider is the box. In this section, we’ll explore how you can examine the box to determine whether or not a funko pop is genuine.
Detailed Explanation Of How To Examine The Box For Signs Of Being A Fake
The box tells you almost everything you need to know about the funko pop inside it. The following is a detailed explanation of how to inspect the box for signs of a fake product:
- Check the location of the sticker:
The funko pop box comes with a sticker, which you should check for authenticity. Take a close look at the sticker and ensure that it is situated in the top right corner of the box. If the sticker is located elsewhere, it may be an indication of a counterfeit product.
- Check the condition of the box:
Pay attention to the packaging’s condition, including any marks or creases. The packaging of fake funko pops is usually subpar in terms of quality, so if there are any apparent issues with the box, it may be a sign of a counterfeit.
- Check the printing quality:
Investigate the printing quality of the image on the box. The logo and images should be crystal clear, with no blurring or double lines. In contrast, fake funko pops may have low-quality printing, resulting in blurry images or artifacts.
- Inspect the color scheme:
Examine the color scheme of the box closely. Authentic funko pops have a bright and vivid color scheme, with specific attention paid to details such as saturation. On the other hand, counterfeit boxes can have a poor color scheme and appear washed out or less vivid than they should.
Explanation Of Differences Between Real And Fake Boxes
Now that you know what to look for when examining the box, let’s delve deeper into the differences between genuine and counterfeit boxes. Here are the key differences:
- Genuine funko pop boxes feature high-quality printing, with clear, bright colors and no blurring. Counterfeit boxes, on the other hand, may have blurry images, “ghosting” or double lines, and poor color saturation.
- The location of the sticker is one of the main differences between real and fake boxes. Real funko pops have the sticker in the top right corner of the box; if you see it located elsewhere, it may be a sign of a fake product.
- Counterfeit boxes can be easily identified by their low-quality packaging. Authentic funko pop boxes are sturdy, with a tight fit, while fake boxes are usually of inferior quality.
Use Of Images To Help Identify Differences
Visual aids can be useful in identifying the differences between real and fake boxes. Experts in the field recommend using images to help collectors distinguish genuine from counterfeit boxes. Specifically, the following images can help:
- Comparison images of real vs. Fake boxes showing differences in printing quality
- Side-by-side images of real and counterfeits boxes highlighting differences in packaging quality
- Close-ups of authentic stickers in the top right corner, juxtaposed with counterfeit stickers located elsewhere
By using high-quality images as a reference, collectors can spot the differences between real and counterfeit funko pop boxes more effortlessly.
Remember, being well-informed about what to look for when examining the box is critical to identifying a genuine funko pop. By examining the box location, the quality of the printing, the color scheme, and the packaging quality, collectors can determine whether or not they have a genuine item.
Don’t hesitate to use the use images to aid you in making informed decisions as you build your funko pop collection.
Inspect The Pop Figure
When you are purchasing funko pops, it is essential to inspect the figure closely before you make a purchase. Here are some things you need to look out for:
Detailed Explanation On How To Examine The Figure For Signs Of Being A Fake
- Look at the paint job: Examine the paint job on the figure carefully. Fakes often have paint that is smudged, faded, and poorly applied.
- Check the packaging: Always check the packaging for any discrepancies. Counterfeit figures may have different packaging, or the box may not be in good condition.
- Check for any printing errors: Look for printing errors on the packaging, including logos, text, and images.
Explanation Of Common Mistakes That Are Made When Identifying Fakes
Identifying fake funko pops may seem easy, but there are a few common mistakes people make when identifying fake figures. These include:
- Assuming a low price means it’s fake: Just because a figure is cheap, it doesn’t always mean it’s fake. Some sellers may offer discounts on items, so it is good to be aware of the price range of a genuine funko pop.
- Relying solely on the serial number: While the serial number is essential, it is not always an indicator of authenticity. Counterfeit figures may have a serial number, but that doesn’t mean it is genuine.
- Not doing enough research: Always do your research before purchasing a funko pop. Learn about the specific figure, the release date, and any potential counterfeits on the market.
How To Check For Commonly Faked Pop Figures
Some funko pops are more commonly faked than others. Here is how you can check for some of the most commonly faked figures:
- Disney and star wars: Look for any inaccuracies in the packaging, such as spelling errors or design issues. Additionally, counterfeit figures may have scuff marks or lack detailing.
- Batman: Check for inconsistencies in the paint, such as color fading or smudging.
- Harry potter: Counterfeit figures may have poor paint quality, including smudges and missing details.
By following these essential tips, you can avoid buying a fake funko pop figure. Be sure to inspect the figure carefully, do your research, and check for the common signs of fakes.
Pay Attention To The Paint Job
One of the hallmarks of a genuine funko pop is the level of detail that goes into the paint job. A well-painted funko pop can be a true work of art, with rich colors, crisp lines, and a smooth finish.
However, a poorly executed paint job can be a sign of a fake pop. Here is a detailed explanation of how to examine the paint job on the pop for signs of being a fake.
Detailed Explanation Of How To Examine The Paint Job On The Pop For Signs Of Being A Fake
- Check for inconsistencies in color. One of the first things to look for when examining a funko pop is color consistency. If there are noticeable inconsistencies in the color or hue of the paint, it could be a sign of a fake. Genuine funko pops are typically uniform in color, with no areas of significantly lighter or darker hues.
- Look for areas of streaking or smudging. Another tell-tale sign of a fake funko pop is streaking or smudging of the paint. Genuine funko pops are typically painted with precision, with crisp lines and a smooth, clean finish. Any areas of unevenness or smudging could be signs of a poorly done paint job.
- Check for alignment. The paint job on a genuine funko pop is typically aligned neatly and precisely. If there are any areas where the paint job seems crooked or misaligned, it could be a sign of a fake.
Explanation Of Common Mistakes That Are Made When Identifying Fakes Based On Paint Job
Even when people are aware of the signs to look for when identifying fakes based on paint job, there are still common mistakes that can be made. Here are some of them:
- Missing small details. Genuine funko pops often have intricate details that can be easy to miss, such as small lines or dots. Examining the pop under a magnifying glass can help to spot these details.
- Overlooking inconsistencies in texture. The texture of the paint job on a fake funko pop can often be different from that on a genuine pop. Pay close attention to the level of sheen and how the light reflects off the surface.
- Judging based on brand. Just because a pop is made by a well-known brand does not necessarily mean it is genuine. Even reputable brands have had issues with counterfeit products.
Use Of Images To Show Differences In Paint Color, Application, And Finish
To make it easier to identify the differences in paint color, application, and finish, it is helpful to include images that show both genuine and fake funko pops side-by-side. The images should highlight the differences in color, hue, and texture.
Use clear, high-quality images with good lighting to help make the differences as obvious as possible.
Examining the paint job on a funko pop can help to determine whether it is genuine or fake. Look for inconsistencies in color, areas of streaking or smudging, and misaligned paint jobs. Be aware of common mistakes such as missing small details, overlooking inconsistencies in texture, and judging based on brand.
Finally, use images to show the differences in paint color, application, and finish.
Check Stickers And Numbering
Detailed Explanation Of How To Examine The Stickers And Numbering On The Pop For Signs Of Being A Fake
One of the most common ways to spot a fake funko pop is by examining the stickers and numbering on the figure. Authentic funko pops are always marked with a unique sticker that denotes their legitimacy, and their packaging has a distinct style of numbering found on the bottom of the box.
Here are some key points to consider when checking the stickers and numbering on a funko pop:
- Check the authenticity of the stickers: Authentic funko pops always come with a specific sticker located on the box and the figure itself. These stickers will have unique identification numbers and be positioned correctly. Make sure that the sticker is not blurry or the wrong size or shape, as these are indications of a fake.
- Check the numbering on the box: Authentic funko pops always have unique numbers on the bottom of the box. These numbers are also found on the sticker on the figure. While some counterfeit funko pops will have similar numbers, they are not the same as an authentic pop.
Explanation Of Common Mistakes That Are Made When Identifying Fakes Based On Stickers And Numbering
Despite the specific instructions to check the stickers and numbering, there are still some common mistakes that people make when identifying fake funko pops, including:
- Not knowing the difference between authentic and counterfeit stickers: One of the most significant mistakes that collectors make is not being familiar with the difference between authentic stickers and fakes. Counterfeit funko pops often have a sticker that looks similar to the authentic funko pop, but with different details or colors.
- Assuming that unique numbering means it’s authentic: While it’s true that funko pops have a unique numbering system, it’s not always a guarantee of authenticity. Some counterfeit funko pops come with numbers that closely resemble the authentic numbering system, but are not identical.
Importance Of Understanding The Authenticity Of Stickers And Numbering And How It Can Affect The Value Of The Pop
Knowing how to spot fake funko pops is essential, not only for collectors but also for anyone interested in buying a pop for their personal collection or as a gift. Authentic funko pops are sought after by collectors, and their value increases over time.
Counterfeit funko pops, on the other hand, have little to no value and can be a waste of money. Understanding the authenticity of stickers and numbering is a crucial step in ensuring that the funko pop you purchase or collect is real.
Ultimately, as value drops, so does desirability, so always check those stickers and numbers to ensure the pop you’re buying is the real deal!
Examine The Price
Fake funko pops are a considerable problem among collectors. These copies are becoming more advanced, making it increasingly difficult to distinguish them from authentic items. Examine the price is an essential tip that can assist you with the detection of a fake funko pop.
Detailed Explanation Of How To Examine The Price Of The Pop For Signs Of Being A Fake
Fake pops can be sold at market value or discounted prices, causing collectors to believe they are getting a deal. However, some signs can help you detect a fake based on its pricing. Here are some detailed explanations of critical aspects to consider:
- Do your research beforehand to acquire an idea of the standard market value for the particular character you want
- Check the price range between different sellers to determine an average price
- Watch out for prices that are significantly lower or higher than the going market rate
- Expensive funko pops must be received with suspicion if they don’t come with an official funko authentication sticker
Explanation Of How Fake Pops Can Be Sold At Market Value Or Discounted Prices
Fake pops can be sold at both market value and discounted prices, providing collectors with a false sense of security. It is straightforward for counterfeiters to provide excellent copies of funko pops with similar boxes, accessories, and even price. As a result, unprepared collectors often purchase fake pops at prices that are comparable to or slightly cheaper than the actual item.
Sellers counting on consumer ignorance search to make a profit from fake pops.
Importance Of Understanding The Price Of Authentic Funko Pops And How To Avoid Scams
It is critical to understand the price of authentic funko pops and detect fake ones to avoid scams. For collectors, unfamiliarity with the market price range makes them vulnerable to fraud. The prices on ebay, amazon, or other online marketplace platforms can fluctuate irregularly.
It is vital to be able to differentiate between a good deal and a fake product that only looks like a bargain. Understanding the standard price range can also help you avoid purchasing a pop at an exorbitantly high price.
It’s crucial to use authentic and trusted sellers. This step will reduce your chances of acquiring a fake pop and allow you to protect the investment of time, money, and effort you’ve put into building your collection.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Tell If A Funko Pop Is Fake
How Can I Tell If A Funko Pop Is Fake?
Funko pops have unique numbers and barcodes. Check these labels online. Sellers with poor ratings or bad packaging are warning signs.
What Are The Most Common Signs Of A Fake Funko Pop?
Avoid figures with low quality printing and painting. Fake figures may have rough or sticky spots. Look for duplicates with reused parts and different coloring.
How Does The Price Of A Funko Pop Determine Its Authenticity?
Sometimes, low prices may indicate a fake figure. However, just because a figure is expensive doesn’t mean it’s authentic. Always do your research and buy from reputable sellers.
Can I Return A Fake Funko Pop?
Yes! If you accidentally purchase a fake funko pop, contact the seller immediately. If they do not offer a refund or exchange, contact the platform where you made the purchase for assistance.
Where To Buy Authentic Funko Pops?
Buy from reputable retailers like amazon, funko’s website, and specialty stores. Avoid second-hand sellers with questionable ratings. It’s always best to research sellers before purchasing funko pops.
Are All Funko Pops With Incorrect Colors Or Sculpts Fake?
Not necessarily. Sometimes, funko releases variants of certain figures with different colors or sculpts. However, it’s always best to research the figure first to determine if it’s a legitimate variant or a fake.
After reading this post, you should be better equipped to identify a fake funko pop. Remember to always pay attention to the details, such as the paint job, the packaging, and the seller’s reputation. If something feels off, it’s better to err on the side of caution and not make the purchase.
Counterfeit funko pops not only cheat fans out of their hard-earned money, but they also put a damper on the joy of collecting. By staying informed and vigilant, you can enjoy your funko pop collection with peace of mind, knowing that each figure is an authentic addition to your beloved collection.
As you continue your collecting journey, keep in mind that buying authentic funko pops ensures that you are supporting the creators of these beloved characters. Happy collecting!